May 03rd 2012 by John Demas
Tonight, Thursday, May 3, is going to be a mad(d) night in more ways than one, and you won’t have to go far to take part. Sacramento accident attorneys are encouraging people to get out tonight and have some great food with family and friends, while at the same time lending their support to MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving).
A great night out for a great cause
Dozens of restaurants are taking part, and you can click on this link to find the one nearest you. Some of these restaurants, which include such well-known chains as Chili’s and The Old Spaghetti Factory, are starting their MADD night out as early as 11 a.m., and many others are staying open till late.
Here’s how it works:
- Click on the link above or go to the MADD website, www.MADD.org.
- Find the restaurant you’d like to go to for dinner among the list of participating outlets.
- Print out the flyer for that restaurant.
- Present the flyer to your server at the end of the meal.
That’s it! The participating restaurants will donate 15 percent of your entire bill to MADD, to help fund their non-profit victim services and local support programs. There may never be a more enjoyable way to make a donation to a great cause.
If you’re wondering whether or not there’s a restaurant near you taking part in the MADD night out, those participating include:
- BJ’s Restaurants at Natomas and Roseville
- Centro Cocina in downtown Sacramento
- Chevy’s in Sacramento, Elk Grove and Roseville
- All Chili’s restaurants, except Roseville
- Esquire Grille in downtown Sacramento
- Joe’s Crab Shack in Old Town, Sacramento
- Mimi’s Cafe in Arden, Elk Grove and Natomas
- Paragary’s Bar and Oven in downtown Sacramento
- The Old Spaghetti Factory in Elk Grove and Roseville
- Spataro Restaurant in downtown Sacramento
The need is great
MADD was founded by a mother whose daughter was killed by a drunk driver. The organization has since become the largest non-profit foundation in the country. Its sole aims are to protect families from drunk drivers and to warn against the dangers of underage drinking. In addition, MADD offers support to victims and survivors of drunk drivers, and they don’t charge a penny for the service.
Sacramento drunk driving accident attorneys are all too aware that the services of MADD are in great demand in this area. California sees more than its share of drunk driving fatalities and underage drinking, and recently released statistics show that while the problem is slowly improving, there’s still a long way to go. Some of the disturbing facts include:
- In 2011, there were 310,971 DUI offenders arrested for the third time!
- An incredible 44,210 five-time offenders were caught driving under the influence.
- The number of people who lost their lives in California DUI accidents in the last year was a staggering 791.
- That figure means 29 percent of all traffic deaths in the state were DUI-related.
- The cost to the state of drunk driving fatalities was a shocking $4.98 billion.
- No fewer than 1,265,000 people aged 12 to 20 drank alcohol in the past month.
- Of that number, an incredible 821,000 people under the age of 21 admitted to binge drinking in the last month alone (five or more drinks on the same occasion, within a few hours)
On a positive note, the percentage of DUI traffic deaths has fallen by 14 percent from the previous year. This may be down to the fact that four counties—Alameda, Los Angeles, Sacramento and Tulare–with a combined population of 13 million people now require ignition interlocks for all convicted drunk drivers.
Sacramento drunk driving accident attorneys like those at Demas Law Group whole-heartedly support the MADD Night Out and they acknowledge and appreciate the good work done by the organization. Too often, these personal injury attorneys see the devastation left behind by the selfish and stupid people who believe it is all right to get behind the wheel after having a few drinks.
Drunk driving is a crime, and people who are caught risk losing their license and/or spending time in prison. In addition, when a drunk driver injures someone in an accident, they can and should also be held civilly liable. No one should have to pay for their medical care or suffer a loss of income if they’ve been injured by a drunk driver. Serious injuries can mean years of pain, suffering and ongoing expense, all of which can have a devastating impact, not just on the victim, but on their families as well.
If you’ve been injured by a drunk driver, don’t suffer in silence. Contact a firm of reputable and experienced drunk driving accident attorneys for a free consultation. They will explain your rights and guide you through the process of claiming the compensation you and your family deserve.
The Demas Law Group has been providing the highest quality of legal services to Californians for nearly twenty years. We take great pride in meeting our clients’ needs while working together to win your case and obtain the maximum compensation allowed by law. We are here to help you during this difficult time. Call our team of Sacramento personal injury lawyers at 888 776 0977 to speak with an attorney. To learn more about why you should hire us click here.